Pageviews last month

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Calling All Generous People

I am pleased to announce that I am a part of the 2011 New England Patriots Charitable Foundation Boston Marathon Team.

I think I've mentioned in the blog once, twice, or fifty times, that I had a dream to qualify for Boston.  I had run it twice for charity (2008, 2009), but decided that I wouldn't run it again until I could be there "for real" as a BQ'er.

That dream came true for me on May 30, 2010 at the Vermont City Marathon when I crossed the finish line in 3:43:30, which was 2 minutes and 29 seconds faster than the 3:45:59 required for the F35-39 age group.

When registration opened on Monday, October 18th, 2010, I got right on my computer and registered.  I paid the $130 entrance fee, submitted my qualifying time and, voila, I was in.

Easy Peasy.  No muss, no fuss.  I was in on my own merits.  I didn't need the help of a track club or a charity to get me a #.  I got it myself.


Sooooooooooooo, why am I running for a charity?  Why am I raising money when it's not a requirement?

First of all, I think it's great to raise money just because, well, you want to.  I only need to come up with $750, compared to the $3,250 minimum that is mandated by the BAA Charities.  Secondly, I heart my New England Patriots and I think it'd be a wicked BLAST to be on their marathon team.  I'm going to run it anyway.  Why not align myself with the best football team in the country?

(Sidebar:  Yes, I realize that the Green Bay packers won the Superbowl.  I still think the New England Patriots are the best team in the country.  This is my blog and I can say whatever I want.)

Lastly, I think anyone can deepen their running experience by bringing meaning and purpose to their races, whether they are "qualified" or not.  What better way to give back than to do something that I love doing?

And now, we have come to the part where I am going to throw myself at your feet, begging and pleading for your money.

Okay, maybe I'm being just a TAD dramatic.

But, I'd love it if you would visit my fundraising page:

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/cynthia-springford/2011-boston-marathon-nepcf-marathon-team?utm_source=share&utm_medium=gigya&utm_campaign=gigyaeua&utm_content=mainpage&sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d4fff1b470cc498%2C0

Check it out. 

And donate...but only if you feel like it. 

Thanks for your support.  Whether it be in word or deed, it's acknowledged and appreciated.


“Our deepest need is for the joy that comes with …knowing we are of genuine use to others.”
-- Eknath Easwaran

No comments:

Post a Comment