Pageviews last month

Friday, April 3, 2015

Will the Real Food Please Stand Up?

When I was in the mode of deprivation, dieting and restriction, I had lots of habits. I exercised as much as I possibly could, I got by on the minimal amount of calories and I used lots of substitutes. I ate things that were lower calorie and I did my best to talk myself into liking them.

Some of these substitutes were:

-- spray "butter" instead of butter
-- spaghetti squash instead of pasta
-- mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes
-- protein bars that tasted like plastic
-- sugar free/fat free everything


I reached for these things, hoping they would fill the space, but they never did. It brought a few minutes of relief, but the thoughts of the foods I really wanted always returned. When I hit rock bottom and decided never to diet again, I rebelled against this behavior. I got angry that I felt like I had to go without and eat things I didn't enjoy, and I vowed that I would do my best to honor my cravings from this moment forward.
If you like spaghetti squash, eat it. If you like cauliflower, eat it. And, if you like pasta and potatoes, eat them too. It's okay to like pasta. It's okay to like potatoes. It's okay to not like substitutes.

You're okay.


(If you like this content, find Love Your Body Project on FB:  https://www.facebook.com/LoveYourBodyProjectPeaceLoveAndFood?ref=hl)

No comments:

Post a Comment