Pageviews last month

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Peace, Love, and Food for Me

It took me over 40 years to stop wishing I was someone else. I was in pain and suffering about my body for so long. I flip flopped between an almost "superhuman" desire to whittle myself down by exercising 2-4 hours a day and the overwhelming need to eat everything I could get my hands on.

The true definition of "yo yo" dieting. Back and forth, back and forth...

When I had my epiphany and began the process of healing, I decided to start my facebook page (January 2013). I called it the Love Your Body Project because I knew this would take some time. A project, which is an individual enterprise that is carefully planned and designed to achieve a particular aim, can take weeks, months, or even years, depending on how long it took me to learn and absorb the lessons along the way.

The Peace, Love and Food part was sort of my process to get where I am. First, I had to make PEACE with my body as it was in order to learn how to LOVE it. I could no longer withhold my own approval if I wanted to move forward. I had to decide that if my body never changed, I would accept and care for it as it was. Period. I would choose to love it unconditionally. Part of loving it is nourishing it when it needs FOOD. I would release my food fears, let go of labeling, and eat freely. So, it seemed like the perfect name for the page and captured what my journey was like.

Now, I'm 43 years old and I feel pretty good about the skin I am in. I'm a lot more confident now. I no longer need to rely so much on other people's advice. I'm more tuned in to what my body needs and wants, which took a lot of practice and time. But, it was time well spent. I am more relaxed about eating now than I ever was. I eat when I'm hungry most of the time. I stop eating when I'm full most of the time. I may not get it right every single day, but I am not in guilt or shame. I don't beat myself up. I'm human and I do not need to be "perfect" to love myself or be loved by others.

May today be the day that you make PEACE with your body as it is and take those steps towards LOVE and FOOD. You are worth the effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment