Pageviews last month

Friday, July 8, 2011

No "News" is Good News. Or IS it?

"It's the menace that everyone loves to hate but can't seem to live without." -- Paddy Chayevsky

As you may or may not remember, I decided not to voluntarily tune into the news anymore about a year or two ago.  This decision is strictly my own, that is to say that my husband still watches it every morning. 

Which is fine.  It's that whole "live and let live" thing that I'm working on.  Just because I choose not to watch it doesn't mean everyone around me has to follow suit.  The reason why I mention this is because, since we live together, I am sometimes in the proximity of the broadcast.  I may not be "watching it" but, as we know, sound travels. 

I hear stuff.

Because I don't tune in on the regular, I'm not up on the day to day.  However, when "news breaks", it's kind of hard to completely get away from it.  Take the capture of Whitey Bulger for example.  It was all people could talk about for days.  Unless you live like a hermit, you're going to hear the big doings that are going on in the world.

People love to talk current events.  That's just how our society is.

The Casey Anthony trial also comes to mind.  Let me emphasize that I did not follow the trial, nor am I privy to the ins and outs of the case.  All I know is she was arrested and tried for the murder of her 2 year old daughter, Caylee. 

That's all I know.

Well, the verdict came down this week, and it didn't sit well with a lot of people.  From what I've gleaned, it should have been an "open and shut" case, meaning that she did it and got off.

I can't confirm or deny that assertion.

This is a very sensitive issue for people.  May I once again say that I did not watch the media coverage, therefore, I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on WHETHER OR NOT SHE DID IT

Nor do I want to.  In fact, I don't think I want to talk about it at all.

Talking about it won't bring Caylee back and it won't change the verdict from not guilty to guilty, if in fact that is the appropriate judgement.  Talking about it prolongs the agony of the tragic death of a two year old girl.  Talking about it gives more power to the media to rent space in our heads that could be used for loving others and channeling our energy in a way that can effect positive change.

Perhaps that IS the true power of the press.  It's there to point out all the "undesirable stories", so we're more aware and can then focus ourselves on all the good things that we do want.  We can combat hate with love, violence with peace, and intolerance with acceptance. 

My decision to disengage from this topic is mine and mine alone.  Some of my friends and family do not share my opinion, nor do I share theirs, and that is okay with me.  Everyone processes their feelings differently.  We fear what we don't understand and the coping mechanisms associated with that vary from person to person. 

So, in memory of Caylee Anthony, I'm going to express as much love and appreciation for all children.  I will focus on what I can control instead of what I can't.  I'll allow her short life to inspire me to appreciate the exuberance, innocence and joy that is in a child. 

And I plan on doing that every chance I get.  For Caylee.  For all little ones.

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." -- Angela Schwindt

No comments:

Post a Comment