Pageviews last month

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Back in the Saddle

I ran yesterday morning.  It's the first time in two weeks that I've sustained a running pace for a decent amount of time.  It doesn't feel like it did a month ago, but it feels better than it did a week ago.

I call that "progress".

I thought I'd give it another go this morning, so I laced 'em up and headed out.  After walking for 5-10 minutes, I started to run.  I went about twice as long as I did yesterday before inserting a walk break.  The good news is, the choice to do that was my brain talking, and not my body begging.  Once I started to run again, it felt fairly easy to transition from walk to run.

I call that "encouraging".

It's safe to say that the decrease in training and inclusion of alternative activities has done my body some good.  Through the gift of hindsight, I'm able to appreciate the decision to cut back.

But, what's more apparent to me is how running helps me to be the best person I can be.

This is only day two of running close to what I'm used to on an average day and I can already feel a spring in my step that hasn't been there much the past couple of weeks.  I'm more relaxed, patient, calm and friendly.  These are all very important personality traits to have, particularly when you work with the public like I do.  Who wants to be around a sour puss of a fitness instructor/trainer?

Certainly not ME.  And I was sorta kinda being one.  Let me tell you, it's not so good for business.

I did my absolute best to put a game face on and power through it.  However, I've never been very good at hiding my feelings.  I suppose that is a mixed blessing.  The good news is, I didn't get fired or flipped off by any of my clients during my running layoff.  So, I've got that going for me.

Right now, I'm feeling optimistic.  Most of all, I feel such appreciation for the gift of physical activity, specifically, running outdoors.  It's so easy to fall into the trap of taking things for granted.  Sometimes, we just get wrapped up in a bunch of little things and we stop paying attention.  We get caught up in "majoring in the minors" and, consequently, get further and further away from our true self.  We have all of these subtle "reminders" that come up, but we ignore them.  However, they just don't go away.  They get bigger and bigger until they manifest in such a way that you have no choice BUT to stand up and take notice.

Ergo my run two weeks ago.  The last half of it didn't feel so good.  But, that wasn't my first "warning".  There were many others, I'm sure.  Cyndi Lou was just too busy to notice.

Perhaps that's why these little lapses happen.  Once we come through it, we can feel appreciation for the contrast that caused us to learn and grow.  It gently reminds us to focus on what's really important and to celebrate life every day and in every way.  There is nothing like a moment of clarity to put everything in its proper perspective.    

We live and we learn.  We fall down, but we get back up.  And back in that saddle.

Yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa...

No comments:

Post a Comment