Pageviews last month

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The blood...the sweat...the tears (like tear/rip, not tear/cry)

Well, I have to say that my training has been going pretty well so far. I ran a 20 miler with Christine on Friday, late morning. I planned the route this time, so no treks through the snow (ooh, sorry...just HAD to throw that one in). The first few miles were rough...both of us couldn't imagine how we were going to get through it. See, once you make the transition into distance running (at least in my experience), it takes you FOREVER to warm-up...kind of like when you see people running the 5K course BEFORE the gun goes off? Yeah, like that.

Thankfully, it got better as we went along. With only two necessary stops (thank you, Dunkin' Donuts), we did it in 3:10. Both of us were relieved to have it done and out of the way so we could enjoy our holiday weekend (thank you, Presidents Day). In fact, the main reason we ran on Friday was because I was getting out of Dodge for the weekend. Cyndi's had it with this @#$&* cold so she was off someplace tropical.

Yup, you guessed it. New Jersey.

Okay, so it's not the Bahamas, but hey, there wasn't a patch of snow to be found in the Garden State and it was in the mid 40's the entire time I was there. I needed a brief respite from the ravages of winter in New England. Besides, it's where I'm from and I have family there. And I stay for free. :-)

So, now I will explain the title of my blog.

I ran 6 miles on Saturday morning, fairly tentatively and slowly since I had done 20 miles the day before. At the end of the run, I felt pretty good and energized. So, I figured I'd run the same course on Sunday and see if I felt any stronger.

I never saw it coming.

I'm about 1.5-2 miles into my run where the sidewalk goes from concrete to uneven stone and brick. Cyndi's got the iPod going and is daydreaming as usual when all of a sudden...

I FELL! Seriously, I fell. My shoe must have caught in the gap between stones and I lost my balance. It's a bird...it's a plane...no, it's just clumsy old me wiping out for all the world to see. Like all the cool stuntpeople (being politically correct here) do in the movies, I wiped out in style, rolling over mid fall and landing on my back on the grassy/dirt part of the sidewalk. Of course this HAD to happen at 9:45 a.m. on a Sunday when EVERYONE in Cranbury, NJ was out and about. In true New Jersey fashion, NO ONE stopped to see if I was alive and well, so I jumped back up and started running again. About a minute or two later, the embarrassment began to fade and I am thinking to myself, "okay, does anything hurt? Did I pull a muscle anyplace?" I felt the random twinge here and there, but nothing major.

At the end of the run, I went back to my cousin's house to survey the damage. I think I lost about four layers of skin from my right knee and I have this bitchin' scratch up the lateral side of my shin. Makes me look tough, sorta. But, I am no worse for the wear. Just another day in the life of training for the Boston Marathon, my friends.

I am happy to report that I'm up to $1,250.00 for the Lazarus House. If you haven't yet checked out my personal webpage, please check it out below:

http://www.lazarushouse.org/BostonMarathon/ViewWalkerProfile.asp?Id=56

If you are in a position to contribute, I would welcome your support.

Another snow/ice/rain event is in the forecast for tonight. One month and three days until spring. Bring it, Mother Nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment