Pageviews last month

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Day 100-Birthday Shout Out

Today, I am thankful for my parents.  Obviously, without either one of them, this blog wouldn't be here, nor would I, for that matter.  As I celebrate the anniversary of my birth, I also want to celebrate the man and woman who gave me life.  I'm blessed to still have both of my parents here in physical form.  If I want to pick up the phone on a whim and call them, I can.  Not everyone can say that.  It's easy to lose sight of the things that we have when we're in pursuit of the things we think we SHOULD have.

So, even though it's technically "my day", I choose to dedicate it to Robert J. Keough, Jr. and Eileen Kay Garval Keough Cunningham, my parents.  Through the years, there were moments where I didn't see eye to eye with them as I struggled to find out who I was.  I fought to be independent of both of them and thought "I knew everything and they knew nothing".  Perhaps, the biggest benefit to collecting more years is you also collect more wisdom.  The older I get, the more I realize just how much my parents knew, and how much they loved me, even if I didn't quite understand it then.

Thanks, mom and dad, for everything.  I think I get it now.

"A parent's love is whole no matter how many times divided." -- Robert Brault

No comments:

Post a Comment