Pageviews last month

Monday, March 30, 2009

Going the distance

Pardon me why I do my euphoric chair dance...

I DID IT!!!

I have exceeded my $3,000 fundraising commitment for the Lazarus House. It's official! What an accomplishment! What a rush!

What a relief! ;-)

Remember the movie "Rocky"? Of course you do.

Well, for those of you that are a little fuzzy on the details, let me refresh your memory.

Rocky (played by Sylvester Stallone) was a small-time boxer looking to make it as a legitimate fighter. He got an opportunity to fight Apollo Creed, who was the heavyweight champion. It was a chance for a "nobody to become a somebody", according to Creed's managers. Of course, Rocky wasn't REALLY supposed to stand a chance. He gets a trainer, he gets a girlfriend and then realizes his one shot at a better life is to go the distance with Apollo. No one has ever been able to do that before.

And you know what? He did it! He went from a "nobody to a somebody". This Italian guy who worked at a meat packing plant while moonlighting as a shady debt collector dug down deep and went 15 rounds with the champ.

Goose bumps. Everytime I see that movie...even though I know how it's going to end, I STILL get that same overwhelming, emotional feeling.

This metaphor is twofold for me. One the one hand, I feel as though I've "gone the distance". I set out to raise $3,000 for the Lazarus House and I've done that, thanks to the many generous people I'm blessed to be associated with.

But, on the other hand, I haven't even started.

On April 20th, 2009, I will have the chance to "go the distance" for real, that is...26.2 miles from Hopkinton to Boston. It will be a test of my physical and mental toughness. I will be running through eight cities and towns with the help of my spiritual, emotional and financial supporters. When the time comes where I turn right on to Hereford and then left on to Boylston, it'll require every ounce of energy I have left to stay the course and stay on my feet.

Just like Rocky.

Hey, if a two-bit club fighter from Philly can do it, why not me?

I WILL become a somebody.

http://www.lazarushouse.org/BostonMarathon/ViewWalkerProfile.asp?Id=56

No comments:

Post a Comment