Pageviews last month

Monday, April 13, 2009

Relax...JUST do it...


Ah, the 80's. Remember the BIG 80's?

The decade was BIG for many reasons, specifically HAIR and FASHION (shoulder pads, anyone?). Some of you out there reading this were around me during this decade. How BIG was my hair???? I carried aqua net with me 24/7--RELIGIOUSLY.

You remember Aqua Net, don't you? Also known as "cardboard in a can"???

I would go to bed at night, wake up the next morning, and MY HAIR LOOKED EXACTLY THE SAME!!! Ah, good times.

Also BIG back in the 80's were those "minimalist, sloganeering" T-Shirts, created by designer Katherine Hamnett. Her famous slogan was "Ban Nuclear Weapons NOW" and FRANKIE SAYS RELAX.

RELAX. Think about that for a second.

Have you ever noticed that everything in life flows so much smoother when you relax? I read a statistic in a fitness magazine that shocked me. About 90% of all illnesses are related to STRESS. 90%! Can you believe that????

So, I started thinking about my big day that's coming up. You know, my little 26.2 jog from Hopkinton to Boston on April 20th? I asked myself just how much better would it be if I just, well, relaxed?

See, there are factors within my control and factors that I cannot control. I cannot control the weather. I cannot control the competition. However, I can control my attitude, my race strategy/performance, fueling schedule, etc. Those are things that I am responsible for. I decide how my experience is going to be. Am I going to be nervous, scared, stressed out, worrying and second guessing myself? Will I spend the next 7 days over analyzing the past 19 weeks, going over my training log with a fine tooth comb and obsessing???

Or, will I finish my taper by enjoying the reduced training schedule, focus on getting proper rest, eat healthful food to nourish my body and...relaxing?

The latter sounds like a MUCH better idea to me.

In closing, this makes the most amount of sense:

God Grant me the serenity...
to accept the things I cannot change...
the courage to change the things I can...
and the wisdom to know the difference.

It's so simple, isn't it? Why do we want to make it so hard?

I continue to be amazed by the generosity of the people I'm fortunate enough to be associated with. The donations are STILL coming in!!! How 'bout THEM apples??? Check it out:

http://www.lazarushouse.org/BostonMarathon/ViewWalkerProfile.asp?Id=56

Cyndi says...RELAX.

No comments:

Post a Comment