Pageviews last month

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

One Day at a Time...

Hi, my name is Cyndi and I'm NOT an alcoholic.

"HI CYNDI!!!!!"

Okay, now that I've gotten THAT out of the way, let me say this:

I LIKE WINE.

There is nothing like a nice glass of chardonnay after a long day out in the rat race...or sitting by a roaring fire in the middle of winter with a good cabernet. I enjoy a glass of wine most nights of the week. I enjoy the taste, the experience and, well, it does make me look rather sophisticated drinking out of that classy lookin' glass... ;-)

The good news is, health experts all over the place will tell you that women can enjoy one alcoholic beverage each day and reap some health benefits. Check this out:

Already well-known as heart healthy, wine in moderation might help you lose weight, reduce forgetfulness, boost your immunity, and help prevent bone loss.
(taken from http://eating.health.com/2008/02/11/6-reasons-to-drink-wine/)

Wait, something I like that can also be GOOD for me??? Say no more, say no more!!

So, what's the problem with continuing my nightly ritual?

Probably nothing.

But...

This is the final week of the terrible taper, so I've decided to pull out all the stops. I haven't lifted weights in almost TWO weeks (unthinkable by normal Cyndi standards) and subbed out ALL of my group fitness classes in an effort to conserve my energy. Alcohol has been known to create a diuretic effect, which means it causes you to pass a lot more water than you normally would. This would obviously lead to a loss of fluid from the body. I also read that alcohol consumption can hamper glycogen storage. Yikes. I kinda need glycogen if I'm going to be out and about for 3-4 hours, don't you think?

Today is day 3 since I've tasted the grape. And while I'm sure I'd enjoy a glass of the good stuff right about now, I'm okay with it. There is an unopened bottle of chardonnay in the refrigerator and it can stay that way until April 21st. No wine, no problem.

One day at a time, right?

As I'm typing this, I realize (thank GOD for calculators) that I'm about 110 hours away from the start of the Boston Marathon. I trained all winter thinking this day was never going to get here and now I can't believe I'm just hours from doing it...really doing it!

One day at a time.
One hour at a time.
One mile at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment