Pageviews last month

Thursday, April 14, 2011

T minus four days

Boston.

It's the biggest countdown there is in the month of April.  Well, unless you count that little wedding that is scheduled to happen on the other side of the pond.

People are excited, both for the big day and for me in general.  I definitely appreciate everyone's interest and support.  The question I think I've heard the most is, "Are you ready????"  At first, I would reply, "Not yet", which would precipitate a, "why not?  What do you mean?" and, well, it just went on forever.  I say "not yet" because that's my way of being present.

You know.  In the "now".

I am not running a marathon today, therefore, I don't NEED to be ready today.

Who knew I was so literal?  I think I've been working with engineers too long.

Needless to say, it got a lil' tiresome.  So, now when someone asks me, I just smile sweetly and say, "yes, thank you for asking."

What makes one ready?  Let's see:

From 12/1/10-4/14/11, I have logged +/- 700 miles. 

I have completed long runs of 18, 20 and 21.12 miles in the month of March, which, to me, is the biggest "peak" time for this particular race.

I tapered my mileage down sensibly.  My last "big" week was 56.5 miles.  That was followed by 41ish miles in week one of the taper and 30 miles in week two.  This week, I'll barely hit 20.

I'm going to bed a little earlier and getting up a little later.

I've enjoyed 15 minutes of daily meditation for the past week.  It's my time to relax, refresh and just breathe.

I know how I am getting there and how I'm getting home.  In a race with logistics like Boston, this is a VERY important thing to work out.  Life stress is total.  The last thing you need to be doing is expending energy on something like that.

I've exceeded my fundraising goal by well over $400, thanks to all of the generous people I know.

Those are all very good things.  But, I think the most important thing of all is to focus on enjoying the experience, first and foremost.  To put all the time and effort into something and then go into it with a negative attitude is both unwise and counterproductive.  The second thing is to acknowledge just how awesome of a thing this is.  In 2010, there were approximately 500,000 marathon finishers in the United States.  Doesn't sound like that many, does it?  Here is one occasion where I don't mind being a "statistic".  I'm proud to say I've finished two marathons in 2010.  I'm learning it's okay to be proud of yourself.  Not only is it okay, it's essential.

April 18th will come when it comes.  And that's perfect just the way it is. 

I'll be ready.  Don't forget to look for me.  I'll have this on:



Your friend,
#17116

No comments:

Post a Comment