Pageviews last month

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Why can't we have it all?

We were so excited. Like children on Christmas morning.

The weather prognosticators were forecasting temperatures in the upper 40's for Sunday, February 8th. Shoot, it might even hit FIFTY degrees! That is equivalent to getting 13 bagels for the price of 12. Bonus! Christine, my excellent training partner, and I were debating: shorts or tights? Shorts or tights?

Well, we opted to go the safe route and wore the latter. However, we ditched the traditional winter hat and headwraps for dri-fit baseball hats instead. It's going to be in the 40's we said. Who NEEDS to cover the ears????

We met at the local gym near my house around 9:30. After lacing them up and emptying our bladders once or twice (hey, all runners know that feeling), we hit the road. We were chatting away the first 3-4 miles, remarking on how nice it was to see the sun and how much lighter we felt with half the layers that are normally required on a long run in the winter. And then, the wind came.

If anyone within reading distance has ever enjoyed, endured or suffered through a run on Route 111, you will immediately begin to sympathize with us. The second we turned on that road, it was as if we entered a wind tunnel. Not only had we entered a wind tunnel, but we were going up, and up, and up. It wasn't one of those "in your face, beotch!" hills where it's short and steep. No, not this road. It is a gradual incline that goes for about, oh, I don't know, almost a mile, perhaps???? Imagine someone wrapping a large elastic band around your waist and pulling as you try your hardest to run away from them. Yeah, that was how our 3 mile stretch of 111 felt. Christine had the brilliant idea at one point of running in front of me in an attempt to shield me from the wind. What a doll. Did I mention that this doll is 100 lbs. soaking wet?? Yeah, so we determined that wouldn't work. But, it's the thought that counts. ;-)

Once we hit 7 miles (our schedule called for 12 today), we got off of that blasted road and ran through some neighborhoods. There were occasional gusts (at one point, Christine's baseball hat flew off her head. She had to go running after it. ;-) But, we dug down deep and sucked it up. At one point she cried out, "Why can't we have it all????", meaning we were fortunate enough to be enjoying seasonally warm temperatures. However, the sun took an extended coffee break and the wind was working overtime.

Why can't we have it all?

I'm reminded every day, by my endeavor to raise money for Lazarus House, just how fortunate I am. The economy has affected all of us in some way. We've had to make some sacrifices and forego some things. But, I always know where my next meal is coming from. I always know where I'm going to sleep at night.

As of right now, I've been able to raise $1,115.00 towards my fundraising goal of $3,000.00, thanks to the kindness and generosity of family, friends, co-workers and people with big hearts. If you haven't yet donated and would like to contribute, here is a link to my personal webpage:

http://www.lazarushouse.org/BostonMarathon/ViewWalkerProfile.asp?Id=56

Now, I'm going to have some birthday cake with my friend, Sarah. Peace, my friends. Until next time.
;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment